Re: PSQL error: total cell count of XXX exceeded

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Hongxu Ma <interma(at)outlook(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PSQL error: total cell count of XXX exceeded
Date: 2023-11-21 14:33:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2023-Sep-13, Hongxu Ma wrote:

> After double check, looks `int64` of src/include/c.h is the proper type for it.
> Uploaded the v4 patch to fix it.

Right. I made a few more adjustments, including the additional overflow
check in printTableInit that Tom Lane suggested, and pushed this.

It's a bit annoying that the error recovery decision of this code is to
exit the process with an error. If somebody were to be interested in a
fun improvement exercise, it may be worth redoing the print.c API so
that it returns errors that psql can report and recover from, instead of
just closing the process.

TBH though, I've never hit that code in real usage.

--
Álvaro Herrera Breisgau, Deutschland — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/