Re: Use of backup_label not noted in log

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
Cc: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Use of backup_label not noted in log
Date: 2023-11-18 18:05:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2023-11-18 09:30:01 -0400, David Steele wrote:
> I know this isn't really a bug, but not being able to tell where recovery
> information came from seems like a major omission in the logging.

Yea. I was preparing to forecefully suggest that some monitoring tooling
should verify that new standbys and PITRs needs to check that backup_label was
actually used, just to remember that there's nothing they could realistically
use (using DEBUG1 in production imo isn't realistic).

Greetings,

Andres Freund