Re: Atomic ops for unlogged LSN

From: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, John Morris <john(dot)morris(at)crunchydata(dot)com>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Atomic ops for unlogged LSN
Date: 2023-11-09 21:27:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Nov 07, 2023 at 04:58:16PM -0800, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2023-11-07 11:02:49 -0600, Nathan Bossart wrote:
>> Is there something special about all other backends being shut down that
>> ensures this returns the most up-to-date value and not something from "some
>> point in the past" as the stated contract for this function seems to
>> suggest?
>
> Practically yes - getting to the point of writing the shutdown checkpoint
> implies having gone through a bunch of code that implies memory barriers
> (spinlocks, lwlocks).

Sure.

> However, even if there's likely some other implied memory barrier that we
> could piggyback on, the patch much simpler to understand if it doesn't change
> coherency rules. There's no way the overhead could matter.

I wonder if it's worth providing a set of "locked read" functions. Those
could just do a compare/exchange with 0 in the generic implementation. For
patches like this one where the overhead really shouldn't matter, I'd
encourage folks to use those to make it easy to reason about correctness.

--
Nathan Bossart