Re: Segfault when running postgres inside kubernetes with huge pages

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Siegfried Kiermayer <sicaine(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Segfault when running postgres inside kubernetes with huge pages
Date: 2023-11-09 01:28:09
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi,

On 2023-11-08 16:03:53 +0100, Siegfried Kiermayer wrote:
> we do run kernel 5.8 and the allocation happens basically at start.
>
> I would still expect postgres to fail gracefully at this point?
>
> Is 'throwing an error message' / checking the allocation a performance
> issue? is it in a generic hotpath for allocation?

It's not like we're ignoring an error and just continuing - we're successfully
allocating the memory. Then the kernel sends SIGBUS when accessing the freshly
allocated memory.

We could try to install a SIGBUS handler and erroring out that way. But doing
that correctly and portably is not exactly trivial.

Greetings,

Andres Freund