Re: meson documentation build open issues

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: meson documentation build open issues
Date: 2023-11-03 21:16:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2023-11-03 20:19:18 +0100, Christoph Berg wrote:
> Re: Andres Freund
> > The reason for that is simply that the docs take too long to build.
>
> That why I'd prefer to be able to separate arch:all and arch:any
> builds, yes.

What's stopping you from doing that? I think the only arch:any content we
have is the docs, and those you can build separately? Doc builds do trigger
generation of a handful of files besides the docs, but not more.

> > > Oh, that's a showstopper. I thought meson would already be ready for
> > > production use. There is indeed an "experimental" note in
> > > install-requirements.html, but not in install-meson.html
> >
> > I'm working on merging it. Having it for core PG isn't a huge difficulty, the
> > extension story is what's been holding me back...
>
> In-core extensions or external ones?

Both, although the difficulty of doing it is somewhat separate for each.

> > > Why isn't it "auto" like the others?
> >
> > I don't really remember why I did that, but it's platform specific, maybe
> > that's why I did it that way?
>
> Isn't that kind the point of autodetecting things? Aren't bonjour and
> bsd_auth autodetected as well?

I'd be happy to change it, unless somebody objects?

> > > That would definitely be helpful.
> >
> > I have a patch locally, will send it together with a few others in a bit.
>
> Thanks!

Attached.

0001 - the bugfix for install-man only installing man1, I'll push that soon
0002 - Document --with-selinux/-Dselinux options centrally
0003 - Add doc-{html,man} targets

I'm not quite sure it's worth it, but it's basically free, so ...

0004 - Documentation for important build targets

I'm not entirely happy with the formatting, but it looks like that's
mostly a CSS issue. I started a thread on fixing that on -www.

0005 - Add -Dpkglibdir option

I guess we might want to do the same for configure if we decide to do
this?

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Attachment Content-Type Size
v1-0001-meson-docs-Install-all-manpages-not-just-ones-in-.patch text/x-diff 1.2 KB
v1-0002-docs-Document-with-selinux-Dselinux-options-centr.patch text/x-diff 2.7 KB
v1-0003-meson-docs-Add-doc-html-man-targets.patch text/x-diff 1.2 KB
v1-0004-docs-meson-Add-documentation-for-important-build-.patch text/x-diff 6.8 KB
v1-0005-meson-Add-Dpkglibdir-option.patch text/x-diff 2.8 KB