Re: meson documentation build open issues

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: meson documentation build open issues
Date: 2023-11-03 18:53:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2023-11-03 19:19:17 +0100, Christoph Berg wrote:
> Re: Andres Freund
> > >
> > > I've been looking into switching the Debian PG 17 build to meson, but
> > > I'm running into several problems.
> > >
> > > * The docs are still not built by default, and -Ddocs=enabled doesn't
> > > change that
> >
> > Maybe I am missing something - they aren't built by default in autoconf
> > either?
>
> True, but the documentation (and this thread) reads like it should. Or
> at least it should, when I explicitly say -Ddocs=enabled.

My understanding of the intent of the options is to make meson error out if
the required dependencies are not available, not that it controls when the
build targets are built.

The reason for that is simply that the docs take too long to build.

> What would also help is when the tail of the meson output had a list
> of features that are enabled. There's the list of "External libraries"
> which is quite helpful at figuring out what's still missing, but
> perhaps this could be extended:
>
> Features
> LLVM : YES (/usr/bin/llvm-config-16)
> DOCS : YES (html pdf texinfo)
>
> Atm it's hidden in the long initial blurb of "Checking for.." and the
> "NO" in there don't really stand out as much, since some of them are
> normal.

The summary does include both. LLVM is 'llvm', man/html docs is 'docs' and pdf
docs as 'docs_pdf'.

> > > Are there any other targets for the individual formats? (I could
> > > probably use one for the manpages only, without the html.)
> >
> > Yes, there are.
> > ninja doc/src/sgml/{postgres-A4.pdf,html,postgres.html,man1}
>
> Oh, that was not obvious to me that this "make $some_file" style
> command would work. (But it still leaves the problem of knowing which
> targets there are.)

Yes, you can trigger building any file that way.

The following is *not* an argument the docs targets shouldn't be documented
(working on a patch), just something that might be helpful until then /
separately. You can see which targets are built with

ninja -t targets all|grep doc/src/

> > Perhaps more interesting for your purposes, there are the
> > install-doc-{html,man} targets.
>
> Hmm, I thought I had tried these, but apparently managed to miss them.
> Thanks.
>
> install-doc-man seems to install "man1" only, though?
> (It seems to compile man5/man7, but not install them.)

Ugh, that's obviously a bug. I'll fix it.

> > > Non-doc issues:
> > >
> > > * LLVM is off by default (ok), when I enable it with -Dllvm=auto, it
> > > gets detected, but no .bc files are built, nor installed
> >
> > Support for that has not yet been merged.
>
> Oh, that's a showstopper. I thought meson would already be ready for
> production use. There is indeed an "experimental" note in
> install-requirements.html, but not in install-meson.html

I'm working on merging it. Having it for core PG isn't a huge difficulty, the
extension story is what's been holding me back...

> > > * selinux is not autodetected. It needs -Dselinux=auto, but that's not
> > > documented in install-meson.html
> >
> > Uh, huh. There's no documentation for --with-selinux in the installation.sgml
> > either, just in sepgsql.sgml. So when the relevant docs got translated to
> > meson, -Dselinux= wasn't documented either.
>
> Ok. It does show up in "External libraries" and was enabled in the
> Debian packages before.
>
> Why isn't it "auto" like the others?

I don't really remember why I did that, but it's platform specific, maybe
that's why I did it that way?

> > > * There is no split between libdir and pkglibdir. We had used that in
> > > the past for libpq -> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu and PG stuff ->
> > > /usr/lib/postgresql/17/lib.
> >
> > I don't think the autoconf build currently exposes separately configuring
> > pkglibdir either, I think that's a debian patch? I'm entirely open to adding
> > an explicit configuration option for this though.
>
> That would definitely be helpful.

I have a patch locally, will send it together with a few others in a bit.

Greetings,

Andres Freund