Re: Enderbury Island disappeared from timezone database

From: Victor Wagner <vitus(at)wagner(dot)pp(dot)ru>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Enderbury Island disappeared from timezone database
Date: 2023-10-27 15:00:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

В Fri, 27 Oct 2023 10:25:57 -0400
Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> пишет:

> Victor Wagner <vitus(at)wagner(dot)pp(dot)ru> writes:
> > I've encountered following problem compiling PostgreSQL 15.4 with
> > just released Ubuntu 23.10.
>
> > I'm compiling postgres with --with-system-tzdata and then regression
> > test sysviews fails with following diff:
> > +ERROR: time zone "Pacific/Enderbury" not recognized
> > +DETAIL: This time zone name appears in the configuration file for
> > time zone abbreviation "phot".
>
> Hmph. Pacific/Enderbury is still defined according to tzdata 2023c,
> which is the latest release:
>
> $ grep Enderbury src/timezone/data/tzdata.zi
> L Pacific/Kanton Pacific/Enderbury
>
> Did Ubuntu decide to remove *all* backzone links from their data?
> Or just that one? Either way, I think they're going to get a tsunami
> of pushback pretty quickly. People like their obsolete zone names.

They split tzdata packages into tzdata and tzdata-legacy (just for
those who like obsolete zone names), and into latter one gone 121 links,
not counting "right" subdirectory. It is actually Debian unstable
feature that got impored into ubuntu. But my
test machines with debian testing do not use --with-system-tzdata, so
I've not noticed this earlier.

It has following entry in changelog:

tzdata (2023c-8) unstable; urgency=medium

* Update Dutch debconf translation.
Thanks to Frans Spiesschaert <Frans(dot)Spiesschaert(at)yucom(dot)be>
(Closes: #1041278)
* Ship only timezones in tzdata that follow the current rules of
geographical
region (continent or ocean) and city name. Move all legacy timezone
symlinks
(that are upgraded during package update) to tzdata-legacy. This
includes
dropping the special handling for US/* timezones. (Closes: #1040997)

-- Benjamin Drung <bdrung(at)debian(dot)org> Mon, 07 Aug 2023 15:02:14 +0200

I.e. they move obsolete timezones into separate package just for people
who like them.

Description of that package ends with:

This package also contains legacy timezone symlinks that are not
following
the current rule of using the geographical region (continent or ocean)
and
city name.
.
You do not need this package if you are unsure.

Really I think that if at least some distirbutions don't like this
names, it is better to have postgres pass its regression tests without
these names as well as with them.

--
Victor Wagner <vitus(at)wagner(dot)pp(dot)ru>