Re: Document that server will start even if it's unable to open some TCP/IP ports

From: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Gurjeet Singh <gurjeet(at)singh(dot)im>, Postgres Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Document that server will start even if it's unable to open some TCP/IP ports
Date: 2023-09-07 21:54:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thanks for picking this up.

On Thu, Sep 07, 2023 at 03:33:57PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> The default value is <systemitem class="systemname">localhost</systemitem>,
> which allows only local TCP/IP <quote>loopback</quote> connections to be
> - made. While client authentication (<xref
> + made. If <varname>listen_addresses</varname> is not empty,
> + the server will start if it can open a <varname>port</varname>
> + on at least one TCP/IP address. A warning will be emitted for
> + any TCP/IP address which cannot be opened.

I think we should move this sentence to before the ѕentence about the
default value. That way, "If the list is empty, ..." is immediately
followed by "If the list is not empty, ..."

IMO the phrase "open a port" is kind of nonstandard. I think we should say
something along the lines of

If listen_addresses is not empty, the server will start only if it can
listen on at least one of the specified addresses. A warning will be
emitted for any addresses that the server cannot listen on.

--
Nathan Bossart