Re: Create shorthand for including all extra tests

From: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
To: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Nazir Bilal Yavuz <byavuz81(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Create shorthand for including all extra tests
Date: 2023-09-04 18:41:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Sep 04, 2023 at 08:16:44PM +0200, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> > On 4 Sep 2023, at 17:01, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> > Nazir Bilal Yavuz <byavuz81(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> >> I created an 'all' option for PG_TEST_EXTRA to enable all test suites
> >> defined under PG_TEST_EXTRA.
> >
> > I think this is a seriously bad idea. The entire point of not including
> > certain tests in check-world by default is that the omitted tests are
> > security hazards, so a developer or buildfarm owner should review each
> > one before deciding whether to activate it on their machine.
>
> I dunno, I've certainly managed to not run the tests I hoped to multiple times.
> I think it could be useful for sandboxed testrunners which are destroyed after
> each run. There is for sure a foot-gun angle to it, no question about that.

Other than PG_TEST_EXTRA=wal_consistency_checking, they have the same hazard:
they treat the loopback interface as private, so anyone with access to
loopback interface ports can hijack the test. I'd be fine with e.g.
PG_TEST_EXTRA=private-lo activating all of those. We don't gain by inviting
the tester to review the tests to rediscover this common factor.