Re: persist logical slots to disk during shutdown checkpoint

From: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Sawada Masahiko <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Subject: Re: persist logical slots to disk during shutdown checkpoint
Date: 2023-08-30 03:33:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 29, 2023 at 02:21:15PM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 29, 2023 at 10:16 AM vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > That makes sense. The attached v6 version has the changes for the
> > same, apart from this I have also fixed a) pgindent issues b) perltidy
> > issues c) one variable change (flush_lsn_changed to
> > confirmed_flush_has_changed) d) corrected few comments in the test
> > file. Thanks to Peter for providing few offline comments.
> >

> The latest version looks good to me. Julien, Ashutosh, and others,
> unless you have more comments or suggestions, I would like to push
> this in a day or two.

Unfortunately I'm currently swamped with some internal escalations so I
couldn't keep up closely with the latest activity here.

I think I recall that you wanted to
change the timing at which logical slots are shutdown, I'm assuming that this
change won't lead to always have a difference between the LSN and latest
persisted LSN being different? Otherwise saving the latest persisted LSN to
try to avoid persisting again all logical slots on shutdown seems reasonable to
me.