Re: pg_stat_get_backend_subxact() and backend IDs?

From: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: "Imseih (AWS), Sami" <simseih(at)amazon(dot)com>, Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: pg_stat_get_backend_subxact() and backend IDs?
Date: 2023-08-29 16:46:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Aug 28, 2023 at 10:53:52AM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> I understand that this is not a fantastic naming, but renaming
> pgstat_fetch_stat_local_beentry() to something like
> pgstat_fetch_stat_local_beentry_by_{index|position}_id() would make
> the difference much easier to grasp, and we should avoid the use of
> "beid" when we refer to the *position/index ID* in
> localBackendStatusTable, because it is not a BackendId at all, just a
> position in the local array.

This was my first reaction [0]. I was concerned about renaming the
exported functions so close to release, so I was suggesting that we hold
off on that part until v17. If there isn't a concern with renaming these
functions in v16, I can proceed with something more like v2.

[0] https://postgr.es/m/20230824161913.GA1394441%40nathanxps13.lan

--
Nathan Bossart