Re: Schema variables - new implementation for Postgres 15

From: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Sergey Shinderuk <s(dot)shinderuk(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com, er(at)xs4all(dot)nl, joel(at)compiler(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Schema variables - new implementation for Postgres 15
Date: 2023-08-12 01:28:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Aug 11, 2023 at 05:55:26PM +0200, Dmitry Dolgov wrote:

> Another confusing example was this one at the end of set_session_variable:
>
> + /*
> + * XXX While unlikely, an error here is possible. It wouldn't leak memory
> + * as the allocated chunk has already been correctly assigned to the
> + * session variable, but would contradict this function contract, which is
> + * that this function should either succeed or leave the current value
> + * untouched.
> + */
> + elog(DEBUG1, "session variable \"%s.%s\" (oid:%u) has new value",
> + get_namespace_name(get_session_variable_namespace(svar->varid)),
> + get_session_variable_name(svar->varid),
> + svar->varid);
>
> It's not clear, which exactly error you're talking about, it's the last
> instruction in the function.

FTR I think I'm the one that changed that. The error I was talking about is
elog() itself (in case of OOM for instance), or even one of the get_* call, if
running with log_level <= DEBUG1. It's clearly really unlikely but still
possible, thus this comment which also tries to explain why this elog() is not
done earlier.