Re: psql: Add role's membership options to the \du+ command

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Pavel Luzanov <p(dot)luzanov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Zhang <david(dot)zhang(at)highgo(dot)ca>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, rmt(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: psql: Add role's membership options to the \du+ command
Date: 2023-07-19 10:13:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I tried this out. It looks good to me, and I like it. Not translating
the labels seems correct to me.

+1 for backpatching to 16, given that it's a psql-only change that
pertains to a backend change that was done in the 16 timeframe.

Regarding the controversy of showing SET for previous versions, I think
it's clearer if it's shown, because ultimately what the user really
wants to know is if the role can be SET to; they don't want to have to
learn from memory in which version they can SET because the column is
empty and in which version they have to look for the label.

--
Álvaro Herrera PostgreSQL Developer — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"Small aircraft do not crash frequently ... usually only once!"