Re: ProcessStartupPacket(): database_name and user_name truncation

From: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Drouvot, Bertrand" <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ProcessStartupPacket(): database_name and user_name truncation
Date: 2023-07-03 20:34:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Jul 01, 2023 at 04:02:06PM +0200, Drouvot, Bertrand wrote:
> Please find V2 attached where it's failing as soon as the database name or
> user name are detected as overlength.

Thanks, Bertrand. I chickened out and ended up committing v1 for now
(i.e., simply removing the truncation code). I didn't like the idea of
trying to keep the new error messages consistent with code in faraway
files, and the startup packet length limit is already pretty aggressive, so
I'm a little less concerned about lugging around long names. Plus, I think
v2 had some subtle interactions with db_user_namespace (maybe for the
better), but I didn't spend too much time looking at that since
db_user_namespace will likely be removed soon.

If anyone disagrees and wants to see the FATALs emitted from
ProcessStartupPacket() directly, please let me know and we can work on
adding them in a follow-up patch.

--
Nathan Bossart