Re: Skip collecting decoded changes of already-aborted transactions

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Skip collecting decoded changes of already-aborted transactions
Date: 2023-06-10 20:31:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2023-06-09 14:16:44 +0900, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
> In logical decoding, we don't need to collect decoded changes of
> aborted transactions. While streaming changes, we can detect
> concurrent abort of the (sub)transaction but there is no mechanism to
> skip decoding changes of transactions that are known to already be
> aborted. With the attached WIP patch, we check CLOG when decoding the
> transaction for the first time. If it's already known to be aborted,
> we skip collecting decoded changes of such transactions. That way,
> when the logical replication is behind or restarts, we don't need to
> decode large transactions that already aborted, which helps improve
> the decoding performance.

It's very easy to get uses of TransactionIdDidAbort() wrong. For one, it won't
return true when a transaction was implicitly aborted due to a crash /
restart. You're also supposed to use it only after a preceding
TransactionIdIsInProgress() call.

I'm not sure there are issues with not checking TransactionIdIsInProgress()
first in this case, but I'm also not sure there aren't.

A separate issue is that TransactionIdDidAbort() can end up being very slow if
a lot of transactions are in progress concurrently. As soon as the clog
buffers are extended all time is spent copying pages from the kernel
pagecache. I'd not at all be surprised if this changed causes a substantial
slowdown in workloads with lots of small transactions, where most transactions
commit.

Greetings,

Andres Freund