Re: Cleaning up nbtree after logical decoding on standby work

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, "Drouvot, Bertrand" <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Subject: Re: Cleaning up nbtree after logical decoding on standby work
Date: 2023-05-26 08:56:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2023-May-25, Peter Geoghegan wrote:

> Attached patch completely removes the changes to _bt_getbuf()'s
> signature from 61b313e4.

I suppose you're not thinking of applying this to current master, but
instead just leave it for when pg17 opens, right? I mean, clearly it
seems far too invasive to put it in after beta1. On the other hand,
it's painful to know that we're going to have code that exists only on
16 and not any other release, in an area that's likely to have bugs here
and there, so we're going to need to heavily adjust backpatches for 16
especially.

I can't make up my mind about this. What do others think?

--
Álvaro Herrera PostgreSQL Developer — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"La primera ley de las demostraciones en vivo es: no trate de usar el sistema.