Re: BUG #17942: vacuumdb doesn't populate extended statistics on partitioned tables

From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz
Cc: henri(dot)chapelle(at)dbandmore(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #17942: vacuumdb doesn't populate extended statistics on partitioned tables
Date: 2023-05-26 00:15:36
Lists: pgsql-bugs

At Thu, 25 May 2023 16:45:50 +0900, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote in
> On Thu, May 25, 2023 at 01:07:59PM +0900, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
> > ANALYZE processes inhertance parents. By a quick search, I found
> > that commit 3c3bb99330 modified get_rel_oids (which has now been
> > relocated to get_all_vacuum_rels) to include
> > RELKIND_PARTITIONED_TABLE. However, it seems like it overlooked
> > updating the same in vacuumdb.c. This dates back to 10.
>
> You cannot do that, because this would make a single run of vacuumdb
> process more than once each partition. Am I missing something?

It seems to be exactly the same as ANALYZE, though. I'm a bit unclear
about our perspective on this SQL command's behavior.

We had a patch proposed to prevent such duplication, but it was
withdrawn for a reason that's I don't remember clearly.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center