Re: memory leak in trigger handling (since PG12)

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: memory leak in trigger handling (since PG12)
Date: 2023-05-24 20:22:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2023-05-24 21:56:22 +0200, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> >> The really hard thing was determining what causes the memory leak - the
> >> simple instrumentation doesn't help with that at all. It tells you there
> >> might be a leak, but you don't know where did the allocations came from.
> >>
> >> What I ended up doing is a simple gdb script that sets breakpoints on
> >> all palloc/pfree variants, and prints info (including the backtrace) for
> >> each call on ExecutorState. And then a script that aggregate those to
> >> identify which backtraces allocated most chunks that were not freed.
> >
> > FWIW, for things like this I found "heaptrack" to be extremely helpful.
> >
> > E.g. for a reproducer of the problem here, it gave me the attach "flame graph"
> > of the peak memory usage - after attaching to a running backend and running an
> > UPDATE triggering the leak..
> >
> > Because the view I screenshotted shows the stacks contributing to peak memory
> > usage, it works nicely to find "temporary leaks", even if memory is actually
> > freed after all etc.
> >

> That's a nice visualization, but isn't that useful only once you
> determine there's a memory leak? Which I think is the hard problem.

So is your gdb approach, unless I am misunderstanding? The view I
screenshotted shows the "peak" allocated memory, if you have a potential leak,
you can see where most of the allocated memory was allocated. Which at least
provides you with a good idea of where to look for a problem in more detail.

> >> I agree using a shorter lived memory context would be more elegant, and
> >> more in line with how we do things. But it's not clear to me why we'd
> >> end up with the same problem in a few years with what the patch does.
> >
> > Because it sets up the pattern of manual memory management and continues to
> > run the relevant code within a query-lifetime context.
> >

> Oh, you mean someone might add new allocations to this code (or into one
> of the functions executed from it), and that'd leak again? Yeah, true.

Yes. It's certainly not obvious this far down that we are called in a
semi-long-lived memory context.

Greetings,

Andres Freund