Re: Clean up hba.c of code freeing regexps

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Clean up hba.c of code freeing regexps
Date: 2023-04-13 09:58:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2023-Apr-13, Michael Paquier wrote:

> With db4f21e in place, there is no need to worry about explicitely
> freeing any regular expressions that may have been compiled when
> able to take care of that now that these are palloc'd (the definitions
> in regcustom.h superseed the ones of regguts.h).

Hmm, nice.

> The logic in hba.c that scans all the HBA and ident lines to any
> regexps can be simplified a lot. Most of this code is new in 16~, so
> I think that it is worth cleaning up this stuff now rather than wait
> for 17 to open for business. Still, this is optional, and I don't
> mind waiting for 17 if the regexp/palloc business proves to be an
> issue during beta.

I agree with the downthread votes to clean this up now rather than
waiting. Also, you're adding exactly zero lines of new code, so I don't
think feature freeze affects the decision.

--
Álvaro Herrera Breisgau, Deutschland — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"Once again, thank you and all of the developers for your hard work on