Re: Making background psql nicer to use in tap tests

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Making background psql nicer to use in tap tests
Date: 2023-04-07 15:04:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2023-04-07 10:55:19 -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> It should probably be added to config/check_modules.pl if we're going to use
> it, but it seems to be missing for Strawberry Perl and msys/ucrt64 perl and
> I'm not sure how easy it will be to add there. It would certainly add an
> installation burden for test instances at the very least.

The last time I tried, it can't be installed on windows with cpan either, the
module simply doesn't have the necessary windows bits - likely because
traditionally windows didn't really have ptys. I think some stuff has been
added, but it probably would still require a bunch of portability work.

Note that we normally don't even build with readline support on windows - so
there's not really much point in using IO::Pty there. While I've gotten that
to work manually not too long ago, it's still manual and not documented etc.

Afaict the failures are purely about patch 2, not 1, right?

Greetings,

Andres Freund