Re: what should install-world do when docs are not available?

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: what should install-world do when docs are not available?
Date: 2023-04-07 00:50:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2023-04-06 14:52:51 -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> On 2023-04-05 We 00:57, Andres Freund wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 2023-04-04 21:46:11 -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> > > Pushed the changes.
> > This failed on crake - afaict because the meson buildfarm code disables all
> > features. Because 'docs' is a feature now, the BF code building
> > doc/src/sgml/html fails.
>

> I changed it so that if the config mandates building docs we add
> -Ddocs=enabled and if it mandates building a pdf we also add
> -Ddocs_pdf=enabled. See

Sounds good, thanks!

> <https://github.com/PGBuildFarm/client-code/commit/b18a129f91352f77e67084a758462b92ac1abaf7>
>
> It's a slight pity that you have to pick this at setup time,

FWIW, you can change options with meson configure -Ddocs=enabled (or whatnot),
in an existing buildtree. It'll rerun configure (with caching). For options
like docs, it won't lead to rebuilding binaries.

> but I guess the upside is that we don't spend time looking for stuff we're
> not actually going to use.

And that you'll learn that tools are missing before you get through most of
the build...

Greetings,

Andres Freund