Re: Doc: Rework contrib appendix -- informative titles, tweaked sentences

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: "Karl O(dot) Pinc" <kop(at)karlpinc(dot)com>
Cc: w^3 <pgsql-www(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Doc: Rework contrib appendix -- informative titles, tweaked sentences
Date: 2023-03-09 09:27:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Hello pgsql-web,

We're looking to improve the contrib docs with a list of trusted
extensions. In order for that look more presentable, Karl has come up
with the idea of using a <simplelist> table with multiple columns. That
would normally look quite terrible because the cell contents are too
close to one another, so he came up with the idea of increasing the
padding, as shown in this patch.

I think this is good thing, as it can help us use tabular <simplelist>
in other places too.

This change requires to change main Postgres doc/src/sgml/stylesheet.css
as Karl suggested here:

On 2023-Jan-22, Karl O. Pinc wrote:

> Actually, this CSS, added to doc/src/sgml/stylesheet.css,
> makes the column spacing look pretty good:
>
> /* Adequate spacing between columns in a simplelist non-inline table */
> table.simplelist td { padding-left: 2em; padding-right: 2em; }
>
> (No point in specifying table, since td only shows up in tables.)
>
> Note that the default simplelist type value is "vert", causing a 1
> column vertical display. There are a number of these in the
> documenation. I kind of like what the above css does to these
> layouts. An example would be the layout in
> doc/src/sgml/html/datatype-boolean.html, which is the "Data Types"
> section "Boolean Type" sub-section.

... but in addition it needs the pgweb CSS to be updated to match, as in
the attached patch.

What do you think?

--
Álvaro Herrera 48°01'N 7°57'E — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"The eagle never lost so much time, as

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Add-padding-to-table.simplelist-for-more-readable-ou.patch text/x-diff 745 bytes