Re: Use pg_pwritev_with_retry() instead of write() in dir_open_for_write() to avoid partial writes?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Use pg_pwritev_with_retry() instead of write() in dir_open_for_write() to avoid partial writes?
Date: 2023-03-07 10:09:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2023-Mar-07, Julien Rouhaud wrote:

> I registered lapwing as a 32b Debian 7 so I thought it would be expected to
> keep it as-is rather than upgrading to all newer major Debian versions,
> especially since there were newer debian animal registered (no 32b though
> AFAICS). I'm not opposed to upgrading it but I think there's still value in
> having somewhat old packages versions being tested, especially since there
> isn't much 32b coverage of those. I would be happy to register a newer 32b
> version, or even sid, if needed but the -m32 part on the CI makes me think
> there isn't much value doing that now.

I think a pure 32bit animal running contemporary Debian would be better
than just ditching the animal completely, as would appear to be the
alternative, precisely because we have no other 32bit machine running
x86 Linux.

Maybe you can have *two* animals on the same machine: one running the
old Debian without -Werror, and the one with new Debian and that flag
kept.

I think CI is not a replacement for the buildfarm. It helps catche some
problems earlier, but we shouldn't think that we no longer need some
buildfarm animals because CI runs those configs.

--
Álvaro Herrera PostgreSQL Developer — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/