Re: add PROCESS_MAIN to VACUUM

From: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
To: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: add PROCESS_MAIN to VACUUM
Date: 2023-02-20 16:31:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jan 13, 2023 at 03:30:15PM -0800, Nathan Bossart wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2023 at 03:24:09PM -0800, Jeff Davis wrote:
> > For completeness, did you consider CLUSTER and REINDEX options as well?
>
> I have not, but I can put together patches for those as well.

Are you planning to do that here, on this thread ?

It seems like a good idea - it would allow simplifying an existing or
future scripts which needs to reindex a toast table, saving the trouble
of looking up the name of the toast table, and a race condition and
server error log if the table itself were processed. I can imagine that
might happen if a separate process used TRUNCATE, for example.

--
Justin