Re: Missing free_var() at end of accum_sum_final()?

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Joel Jacobson <joel(at)compiler(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Missing free_var() at end of accum_sum_final()?
Date: 2023-02-17 20:26:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2023-02-17 11:48:14 +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2023 at 01:35:54PM -0800, Andres Freund wrote:
> > But why do we need it? Most SQL callable functions don't need to be careful
> > about not leaking O(1) memory, the exception being functions backing btree
> > opclasses.
> >
> > In fact, the detailed memory management often is *more* expensive than just
> > relying on the calling memory context being reset.
> >
> > Of course, numeric.c doesn't really seem to have gotten that message, so
> > there's a consistency argument here.
>
> I don't know which final result is better. The arguments go two ways:
> 1) Should numeric.c be simplified so as its memory structure with extra
> pfree()s, making it more consistent with more global assumptions than
> just this file? This has the disadvantage of creating more noise in
> backpatching, while increasing the risk of leaks if some of the
> removed parts are allocated in a tight loop within the same context.
> This makes memory management less complicated. That's how I am
> understanding your point.

It's not just simplification, it's just faster to free via context reset. I
whipped up a random query exercising numeric math a bunch:

SELECT max(a + b + '17'::numeric + c) FROM (SELECT generate_series(1::numeric, 1000::numeric)) aa(a), (SELECT generate_series(1::numeric, 100::numeric)) bb(b), (SELECT generate_series(1::numeric, 10::numeric)) cc(c);

Removing the free_var()s from numeric_add_opt_error() speeds it up from ~361ms
to ~338ms.

This code really needs some memory management overhead reduction love. Many
allocation could be avoided by having a small on-stack "buffer" that's used
unless the numeric is large.

> 2) Should the style within numeric.c be more consistent? This is how
> I am understanding this proposal. As you quote, this makes memory
> management more complicated (not convinced about that for the internal
> of numerics?), while making the file more consistent.

> At the end, perhaps that's not worth bothering, but 2) prevails when
> it comes to the rule of making some code consistent with its
> surroundings. 1) has more risks seeing how old this code is.

I'm a bit wary that this will trigger a stream of patches to pointlessly free
things, causing churn and slowdowns. I suspect there's other places in
numeric.c where we don't free, and there certainly are a crapton in other
functions.

Greetings,

Andres Freund