Re: doc: add missing "id" attributes to extension packaging page

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: "Karl O(dot) Pinc" <kop(at)karlpinc(dot)com>
Cc: Brar Piening <brar(at)gmx(dot)de>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: doc: add missing "id" attributes to extension packaging page
Date: 2023-02-15 20:49:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2023-02-15 13:34:37 -0600, Karl O. Pinc wrote:
> This makes me think that it would be useful to add --nonet to the
> xsltproc invocations. That would catch this error before it goes to
> CI.

We are doing that now :)

commit 969509c3f2e3b4c32dcf264f9d642b5ef01319f3
Author: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Date: 2023-02-08 17:15:23 -0500

Stop recommending auto-download of DTD files, and indeed disable it.

> I'm also noticing that the existing xsl:import-s all import entire
> docbook stylesheets. It does not hurt to do this; the output is
> unaffected, although I can't say what it means for build performance.
> It does keep it simple. Only one import is needed no matter which
> templates we use the import mechanism to extend. And by importing
> "everything" there's no concern about any (unlikely) changes to
> the the "internals" of the catalog.
>
> Should we import only what we need or all of docbook? I don't know.

It couldn't hurt to check if performance improves when you avoid doing so. I
suspect it won't make much of a difference, because the time is actually spent
evaluating xslt rather than parsing it.

Greetings,

Andres Freund