Re: pgbench: using prepared BEGIN statement in a pipeline could cause an error

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Yugo NAGATA <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgbench: using prepared BEGIN statement in a pipeline could cause an error
Date: 2023-02-14 00:20:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2023-02-08 13:10:40 +0100, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2023-Feb-08, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
> > I propose instead the following: each command is prepared just before
> > it's executed, as previously, and if we see a \startpipeline, then we
> > prepare all commands starting with the one just after, and until the
> > \endpipeline.
>
> Here's the patch.

There's something wrong with the patch, it reliably fails with core dumps:
https://cirrus-ci.com/github/postgresql-cfbot/postgresql/commitfest%2F42%2F3260

Example crash:
https://api.cirrus-ci.com/v1/task/4922406553255936/logs/cores.log
https://api.cirrus-ci.com/v1/artifact/task/6611256413519872/crashlog/crashlog-pgbench.EXE_0750_2023-02-13_14-07-06-189.txt