Re: make_ctags: use -I option to ignore pg_node_attr macro

From: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com
Cc: nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp, alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: make_ctags: use -I option to ignore pg_node_attr macro
Date: 2023-02-10 00:07:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> Oops. Thank you for pointing it out. BTW, just out of curiosity, do
>> you have etags on you Mac?
>
> Yes.
>
> $ etags --version
> etags (GNU Emacs 28.2)
> This program is distributed under the terms in ETAGS.README

Ok. Probably that was installed with emacs. For some reason I don't
know, I don't have etags even I already installed emacs. So I decided
to test using my old Ubuntu 18 vm, which has old ctags and etags.

> How about just applying the following into make_etags?
>
> +if [ $# -gt 1 ] || ( [ $# -eq 1 ] && [ $1 != "-n" ] )
> +then echo "Usage: $0 [-n]"
> + exit 1
> +fi

Ok from me. Looks simple enough.

> With the patch, make_etags caused the following error messages
> on my MacOS.
>
> $ ./src/tools/make_etags
> No such file or directory
> No such file or directory
>
> To fix this error, probaby we should get rid of double-quotes
> from "$FLAGS" "$IGNORE_IDENTIFIES" in the following command.
>
> - xargs ctags $MODE -a -f $TAGS_FILE "$FLAGS" "$IGNORE_IDENTIFIES"
> + xargs $PROG $MODE $TAGS_OPT $TAGS_FILE "$FLAGS" "$IGNORE_IDENTIFIES"

Oh, I see.

> + else ctags --help 2>&1 | grep -- -e >/dev/null
> + # Note that "ctags --help" does not always work. Even certain ctags
> does not have the option.
>
> This code seems to assume that there is non-Exuberant ctags
> supporting -e option. But does such ctags really exist?

Good question. I vaguely recalled so、but I haven't been able to find
any evidence for it.

> I fixed the above issues and refactored the code.
> Attached is the updated version of the patch. Thought?

Thank you! Looks good to me.

Best reagards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii