Re: MacOS: xsltproc fails with "warning: failed to load external entity"

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MacOS: xsltproc fails with "warning: failed to load external entity"
Date: 2023-02-09 20:38:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2023-02-09 13:48:46 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > I think this misunderstanding is again due to the confusion between the 'all'
> > target in doc/src/sgml and the default target, just like earlier in the thread
> > / why I ended up with the prior set of targets under 'docs'.
>
> > # Make "html" the default target, since that is what most people tend
> > # to want to use.
> > html:
> > all: html man
>
> > Given the repeated confusion from that, among fairly senior hackers, perhaps
> > we ought to at least put those lines next to each other? It's certainly not
> > obvious as-is.
>
> I think there are ordering constraints between these and the
> Makefile.global inclusion. But we could add a comment beside the "all:"
> line pointing out that that's not the default target.

Yes, html: has to happen before the inclusion of Makefile.global to become the
default target, but afaics we can just move "all: html man" up?

> If we intend to someday build tarballs with meson, there'd need to be
> a target that builds html+man, but that could perhaps be named
> "distprep".

Yea, a distprep target just depending on all the required targets seems to be
the way to go for that.

Not really related: I think we should seriously consider removing most of the
things distprep includes in the tarball. I'd leave docs in though. But IMO all
of the generated code doesn't make sense in this day and age. I guess that's a
discussion for a different thread and a different day.

Greetings,

Andres Freund