Re: make_ctags: use -I option to ignore pg_node_attr macro

From: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com
Cc: nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp, alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: make_ctags: use -I option to ignore pg_node_attr macro
Date: 2023-02-08 11:17:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> Attached is the v2 patch.
>
> Thanks for the patch!
>
> With the patch, I got the following error when executing make_etags..
>
> $ ./src/tools/make_etags
> etags: invalid option -- 'e'
> Try 'etags --help' for a complete list of options.
> sort: No such file or directory

Oops. Thank you for pointing it out. BTW, just out of curiosity, do
you have etags on you Mac? Mine doesn't have etags. That's why I
missed the error.

> + if [ $? != 0 -a -z "$ETAGS_EXISTS" ]
> + then echo "'ctags' does not support emacs mode and etags does not
> exist" 1>&2; exit 1
> + fi
>
> This code can be reached after "rm -f ./$TAGS_FILE" is executed in
> make_ctags.
> But we should check whether the required program has been already
> installed
> and exit immediately if not, before modifying anything?

Agreed.

> This is the comment for the commit d1e2a380cb. I found that make_etags
> with
> an invalid option reported the following usage message mentioning
> make_ctags
> (not make_etags). Isn't this confusing?
>
> $ ./src/tools/make_etags -a
> Usage: /.../make_ctags [-e][-n]

That's hard to fix without some code duplication. We decided that
make_etags is not a symlink to make_ctags, rather execs make_ctags. Of
course we could let make_etags perform the same option check, but I
doubt it's worth the trouble.

Anyway, attached is the v3 patch.

Best reagards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS LLC

Attachment Content-Type Size
fix-make_ctags-v3.patch text/x-patch 2.1 KB