Re: Assertion failure in SnapBuildInitialSnapshot()

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Assertion failure in SnapBuildInitialSnapshot()
Date: 2023-02-07 20:05:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2023-02-07 11:49:03 -0800, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2023-02-01 11:23:57 +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 31, 2023 at 6:08 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Attached updated patches.
> > >

> > Thanks, Andres, others, do you see a better way to fix this problem? I
> > have reproduced it manually and the steps are shared at [1] and
> > Sawada-San also reproduced it, see [2].
> >
> > [1] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAA4eK1KDFeh%3DZbvSWPx%3Dir2QOXBxJbH0K8YqifDtG3xJENLR%2Bw%40mail.gmail.com
> > [2] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAD21AoDKJBB6p4X-%2B057Vz44Xyc-zDFbWJ%2Bg9FL6qAF5PC2iFg%40mail.gmail.com
>
> Hm. It's worrysome to now hold ProcArrayLock exclusively while iterating over
> the slots. ReplicationSlotsComputeRequiredXmin() can be called at a
> non-neglegible frequency. Callers like CreateInitDecodingContext(), that pass
> already_locked=true worry me a lot less, because obviously that's not a very
> frequent operation.

Separately from this change:

I wonder if we ought to change the setup in CreateInitDecodingContext() to be a
bit less intricate. One idea:

Instead of having GetOldestSafeDecodingTransactionId() compute a value, that
we then enter into a slot, that then computes the global horizon via
ReplicationSlotsComputeRequiredXmin(), we could have a successor to
GetOldestSafeDecodingTransactionId() change procArray->replication_slot_xmin
(if needed).

As long as CreateInitDecodingContext() prevents a concurent
ReplicationSlotsComputeRequiredXmin(), by holding ReplicationSlotControlLock
exclusively, that should suffice to ensure that no "wrong" horizon was
determined / no needed rows have been removed. And we'd not need a lock nested
inside ProcArrayLock anymore.

Not sure if it's sufficiently better to be worth bothering with though :(

Greetings,

Andres Freund