Re: Speed up transaction completion faster after many relations are accessed in a transaction

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jacob Champion <jchampion(at)timescale(dot)com>, Yura Sokolov <y(dot)sokolov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Zhihong Yu <zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, "Imai, Yoshikazu" <imai(dot)yoshikazu(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Speed up transaction completion faster after many relations are accessed in a transaction
Date: 2023-02-07 18:05:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2023-01-24 16:57:37 +1300, David Rowley wrote:
> I've attached a rebased patch.

Looks like there's some issue causing tests to fail probabilistically:

https://cirrus-ci.com/github/postgresql-cfbot/postgresql/commitfest%2F42%2F3501

Several failures are when testing a 32bit build.

> While reading over this again, I wondered if instead of allocating the
> memory for the LOCALLOCKOWNER in TopMemoryContext, maybe we should
> create a Slab context as a child of TopMemoryContext and perform the
> allocations there.

Yes, that does make sense.

> I would like to get this LockReleaseAll problem finally fixed in PG16,
> but I'd feel much better about this patch if it had some review from
> someone who has more in-depth knowledge of the locking code.

I feel my review wouldn't be independent, but I'll give it a shot if nobody
else does.

Greetings,

Andres Freund