Re: New strategies for freezing, advancing relfrozenxid early

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: New strategies for freezing, advancing relfrozenxid early
Date: 2023-01-26 01:26:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2023-01-25 16:43:47 -0800, Andres Freund wrote:
> I think, as committed, this will cause serious issues for some reasonably
> common workloads, due to substantially increased WAL traffic.
>

> The most common problematic scenario I see are tables full of rows with
> limited lifetime. E.g. because rows get aggregated up after a while. Before
> those rows practically never got frozen - but now we'll freeze them all the
> time.

Another bad scenario: Some longrunning / hung transaction caused us to get
close to the xid wraparound. Problem was resolved, autovacuum runs. Previously
we wouldn't have frozen the portion of the table that was actively changing,
now we will. Consequence: We get closer to the "no write" limit / the outage
lasts longer.

I don't see an alternative to reverting this for now.

Greetings,

Andres Freund