Re: Doc: Rework contrib appendix -- informative titles, tweaked sentences

From: "Karl O(dot) Pinc" <kop(at)karlpinc(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Doc: Rework contrib appendix -- informative titles, tweaked sentences
Date: 2023-01-22 20:42:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On Sun, 22 Jan 2023 08:09:03 -0600
"Karl O. Pinc" <kop(at)karlpinc(dot)com> wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Jan 2023 08:11:43 -0600
> "Karl O. Pinc" <kop(at)karlpinc(dot)com> wrote:
>
> > Attached are 2 v9 patch versions. I don't think I like them.
> > I think the v8 versions are better. But I thought it
> > wouldn't hurt to show them to you.
> >
> > On Fri, 20 Jan 2023 14:22:25 -0600
> > "Karl O. Pinc" <kop(at)karlpinc(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > > Attached are 2 alternatives:
> > > (They touch separate files so the ordering is meaningless.)
> > >

> > > v8-0001-List-trusted-and-obsolete-extensions.patch
> > >
> > > Instead of putting [trusted] and [obsolete] in the titles
> > > of the modules, like v7 does, add a list of them into the text.
> > >

> > v9 puts the list in vertical format, 5 columns.
> >
> > But the column spacing in HTML is ugly, and I don't
> > see a parameter to set to change it. I suppose we could
> > do more work on the stylesheets, but this seems excessive.
>
> Come to think of it, this should be fixed by using CSS
> with a
>
> table.simplelist

Actually, this CSS, added to doc/src/sgml/stylesheet.css,
makes the column spacing look pretty good:

/* Adequate spacing between columns in a simplelist non-inline table */
.simplelist td { padding-left: 2em; padding-right: 2em; }

(No point in specifying table, since td only shows up in tables.)

Note that the default simplelist type value is "vert", causing a 1
column vertical display. There are a number of these in the
documenation. I kind of like what the above css does to these
layouts. An example would be the layout in
doc/src/sgml/html/datatype-boolean.html, which is the "Data Types"
section "Boolean Type" sub-section.

For other places affected see: grep -l doc/src/sgml/*.sgml simplelist

Attached are 2 patches:

v10-0001-List-trusted-and-obsolete-extensions.patch

List trusted extenions in 4 columns, with the CSS altered
to put spacing between vertical columns. I changed this
from the 5 columns of v9 because with 5 columns there
was a little bit of overflow into the right hand margin
of a US-letter PDF. The PDF still has an ugly page
break right before the table. To avoid that use the v8
version, which presents the list inline.

v10-0002-Page-break-before-sect1-in-contrib-appendix-when-pdf.patch

This is exactly like the v8 version. See my comments earlier
about v8 v.s. v9.

Regards,

Karl <kop(at)karlpinc(dot)com>
Free Software: "You don't pay back, you pay forward."
-- Robert A. Heinlein

Attachment Content-Type Size
v10-0001-List-trusted-and-obsolete-extensions.patch text/x-patch 2.3 KB
v10-0002-Page-break-before-sect1-in-contrib-appendix-when-pdf.patch text/x-patch 480 bytes