Re: doc: add missing "id" attributes to extension packaging page

From: "Karl O(dot) Pinc" <kop(at)karlpinc(dot)com>
To: Brar Piening <brar(at)gmx(dot)de>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: doc: add missing "id" attributes to extension packaging page
Date: 2023-01-17 13:12:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 17 Jan 2023 06:57:23 +0100
Brar Piening <brar(at)gmx(dot)de> wrote:

> On 17.01.2023 at 02:05, Karl O. Pinc wrote:
> > Or maybe the right way is to set a mode at the very top,
> > the first apply-templates call, and not mess with the
> > built-in templates at all. (You'd write your own
> > "postgres-mode" templates the same way, to "wrap"
> > and call the default templates.)
> >
> > Think of the mode as an implicit argument that's preserved and
> > passed down through each template invocation without having to
> > be explicitly specified by the calling code.
>
> I think the document you're missing is [1].
>
> There are multiple ways to customize DocBook XSL output and it sounds
> like you want me to write a customization layer which I didn't do
> because there is precedent that the typical "way to do it" (TM) in the
> PostgreSQL project is [2].
>
> Regards,
>
> Brar
>
> [1] http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/CustomizingPart.html
> [2] http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/ReplaceTemplate.html

Sagehill is normally vary good. But in this case [2] does not
apply. Or rather it applies but it is overkill because you
do not want to replace what a template is producing. You
want to add to what a template is producing. So you want to
wrap the template, with your new code adding output before/
after what the original produces.

[1] does not contain this technique.

If you're not willing to try I am willing to see if I can
produce an example to work from. My XSLT is starting to
come back.

Regards,

Karl <kop(at)karlpinc(dot)com>
Free Software: "You don't pay back, you pay forward."
-- Robert A. Heinlein