Re: Transaction timeout

From: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andrey Borodin <amborodin86(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Nikolay Samokhvalov <samokhvalov(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Transaction timeout
Date: 2023-01-12 19:24:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Dec 18, 2022 at 12:53:31PM -0800, Andrey Borodin wrote:
> I've rewritten this part to correctly report all timeouts that did
> happen. However there's now a tricky comma-formatting code which was
> tested only manually.

I suspect this will make translation difficult.

>> > Because transaction_timeout has effects of statement_timeout.
>>
>> I guess it's just following precedent - but it seems a bit presumptuous
>> to just disable safety settings a DBA might have set up. That makes some
>> sense for e.g. idle_in_transaction_session_timeout, because I think
>> e.g. parallel backup can lead to a connection being idle for a bit.
>
> I do not know. My reasoning - everywhere we turn off
> statement_timeout, we should turn off transaction_timeout too.
> But I have no strong opinion here. I left this code as is in the patch
> so far. For the same reason I did not change anything in
> pg_backup_archiver.c.

From 8383486's commit message:

We disable statement_timeout and lock_timeout during dump and restore,
to prevent any global settings that might exist from breaking routine
backups.

I imagine changing this could disrupt existing servers that depend on these
overrides during backups, although I think Andres has a good point about
disabling safety settings. This might be a good topic for another thread.

--
Nathan Bossart