Re: postgres_fdw uninterruptible during connection establishment / ProcSignalBarrier

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: postgres_fdw uninterruptible during connection establishment / ProcSignalBarrier
Date: 2022-12-29 21:54:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2022-12-30 10:31:22 +1300, Thomas Munro wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 30, 2022 at 6:23 AM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> > On 2022-12-08 18:08:15 -0800, Andres Freund wrote:
> > > On 2022-09-25 16:22:37 -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> > > The only alternative way to provide a wrapper that I can think of are to
> > > a) introduce a new static library that can be linked to by libpqwalreceiver,
> > > postgres_fdw, dblink
> > > b) add a header with static inline functions implementing interrupt-processing
> > > connection establishment for libpq
> > >
> > > Neither really has precedent.
>
> > Any opinions? Due to the simplicity I'm currently leaning to a header-only
> > helper, but I don't feel confident about it.
>
> The header idea is a little bit sneaky (IIUC: a header that is part of
> the core tree, but can't be used by core and possibly needs special
> treatment in 'headercheck' to get the right include search path, can
> only be used by libpqwalreceiver et al which are allowed to link to
> libpq), but I think it is compatible with other goals we have
> discussed in other threads.

Hm, what special search path / headerscheck magic are you thinking of? I think
something like src/include/libpq/libpq-be-fe-helpers.h defining a bunch of
static inlines should "just" work?

We likely could guard against that header being included from code ending up
in the postgres binary directly by #error'ing if BUILDING_DLL is
defined. That's a very badly named define, but it IIRC has to be iff building
code ending up in postgres directly.

> I think in the near future we'll probably remove the concept of non-threaded
> server builds (as proposed before in the post HP-UX 10 cleanup thread, with
> patches, but not quite over the line yet). Then I think the server could be
> allowed to link libpq directly? And at that point this code wouldn't be
> sneaky anymore and could optionally move into a .c. Does that makes sense?

I was wondering about linking in libpq directly as well. But I am not sure
it's a good idea. I suspect we'd run into some issues around libraries
(including extensions) linking to different versions of libpq etc - if we
directly link to libpq that'd end up in tears.

It might be a different story if we had a version of libpq built with
different symbol names etc. But that's not exactly trivial either.

Greetings,

Andres Freund