Re: ARRNELEMS Out-of-bounds possible errors

From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: ranier(dot)vf(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ARRNELEMS Out-of-bounds possible errors
Date: 2022-12-23 08:37:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At Thu, 22 Dec 2022 12:35:58 -0300, Ranier Vilela <ranier(dot)vf(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote in
> Hi.
>
> Per Coverity.
>
> The commit ccff2d2
> <https://github.com/postgres/postgres/commit/ccff2d20ed9622815df2a7deffce8a7b14830965>,
> changed the behavior function ArrayGetNItems,
> with the introduction of the function ArrayGetNItemsSafe.
>
> Now ArrayGetNItems may return -1, according to the comment.
> " instead of throwing an exception. -1 is returned after an error."

If I'm reading the code correctly, it's the definition of
ArrayGetNItems*Safe*. ArrayGetNItems() calls that function with a NULL
escontext and the NULL turns ereturn() into ereport(). That doesn't
seem to be changed by the commit.

Of course teaching Coverity not to issue the false warnings would be
another actual issue that we should do, maybe.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center