Re: add \dpS to psql

From: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
To: Pavel Luzanov <p(dot)luzanov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: add \dpS to psql
Date: 2022-12-08 02:39:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Dec 07, 2022 at 10:48:49AM +0300, Pavel Luzanov wrote:
> Furthermore. The VACUUM privilege allows you to also execute VACUUM FULL.
> VACUUM and VACUUM FULL are commands with similar names, but work completely
> differently.
> It may be worth clarifying on this page:
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/ddl-priv.html
>
> Something like: Allows VACUUM on a relation, including VACUUM FULL.

Since (as you said) they work completely differently, I think it'd be
more useful if vacuum_full were a separate privilege, rather than being
included in vacuum. And cluster could be allowed whenever vacuum_full
is allowed.

> There is a very similar command to VACUUM FULL with a different name -
> CLUSTER. The VACUUM privilege does not apply to the CLUSTER command.
> This is probably correct.

I think if vacuum privilege allows vacuum full, then it ought to also
allow cluster. But I suggest that it'd be even better if it doesn't
allow either, and there was a separate privilege for those.

Disclaimer: I have not been following these threads.

--
Justin