Re: Documentation for building with meson

From: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
To: samay sharma <smilingsamay(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Nazir Bilal Yavuz <byavuz81(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Documentation for building with meson
Date: 2022-11-23 06:36:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Nov 14, 2022 at 10:41:21AM -0800, samay sharma wrote:

> You need LZ4, if you want to support compression of data with that
> method; see default_toast_compression and wal_compression.

=> The first comma is odd. Maybe it should say "LZ4 is needed to
support .."

> You need Zstandard, if you want to support compression of data or
> backups with that method; see wal_compression. The minimum required
> version is 1.4.0.

Same.

Also, since v15, LZ4 and zstd can both be used by basebackup.

>Some commonly used ones are mentioned in the subsequent sections

=> Some commonly used options ...

> Most of these require additional software, as described in Section
> 17.3.2, and are set to be auto features.

=> "Are set to be auto features" sounds odd. I think it should say
something like " .. and are automatically enabled if the required
software is detected.".

> You can change this behavior by manually setting the auto features to
> enabled to require them or disabled to not build with them.

remove "auto". Maybe "enabled" and "disabled" need markup.

> On Windows, the default WinLDAP library is used. It defults to auto

typo: defults

> It defaults to auto and libsystemd and the associated header files need
> to be installed to use this option.

=> write this as two separate sentences. Same for libxml.

> bsd to use the UUID functions found in FreeBSD, NetBSD, and some other
> BSD-derived systems

=> should remove mention of netbsd, like c4b6d218e

> Enables use of the Zlib library. It defaults to auto and enables
> support for compressed archives in pg_dump ,pg_restore and
> pg_basebackup and is recommended.

=> The comma is mis-placed.

> The default backend meson uses is ninja and that should suffice for
> most use cases. However, if you'd like to fully integrate with
> visual studio, you can set the BACKEND to vs.

=> BACKEND is missing markup.

> This option can be used to specify the buildtype to use; defaults to
> release

=> release is missing markup

> Specify the optimization level. LEVEL can be set to any of
> {0,g,1,2,3,s}.

=> LEVEL is missing markup

Thanks,
--