Re: CI and test improvements

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Anastasia Lubennikova <lubennikovaav(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Subject: Re: CI and test improvements
Date: 2022-11-19 21:35:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2022-11-19 13:18:54 -0800, Andres Freund wrote:
> > Also, if CompilerWarnings doesn't depend on Linux, that means those two
> > tasks will normally start and run simultaneously, which means a single
> > branch will use all 8 of the linux CPUs available from cirrus. Is that
> > intentional?
>
> I don't think that'd really make anything worse. But perhaps we could just
> reduce the CPU count for linux autoconf by 1? I suspect that even with asan
> enabled it'd still be roughly even with the rest.

Hm, that doesn't suffice, because we allow 4 cores for the warnings task. The
limit for cirrus is 16 linux CPUs though, not 8. We'll temporarily go up to 12
due to CompilerWarnings after the change. But I think that's fine, because
we'd previously use the same amount of CPUs, just some of it
sequentially.

From the POV of linux CPUs we'd still be able to start a second task
concurrently without delaying the sanitycheck task, and then at max delaying
one of the other linux tasks (meson, autoconf, compiler warnings).

The limit is, and continues to be, be the number of concurrent macos
VMs. Might be better after moving to m1 macs.

Greetings,

Andres Freund