Re: test/modules/test_oat_hooks vs. debug_discard_caches=1

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: test/modules/test_oat_hooks vs. debug_discard_caches=1
Date: 2022-11-19 00:33:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2022-11-18 15:55:34 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> We realized today [1] that it's been some time since the buildfarm
> had any debug_discard_caches (nee CLOBBER_CACHE_ALWAYS) coverage.

Do we know when it was covered last? I assume it's before the addition of
test_oat_hooks in 90efa2f5565?

> Sure enough, as soon as Tomas turned that back on, kaboom [2].
> The test_oat_hooks test is failing --- it's not crashing, but
> it's emitting more NOTICE lines than the expected output includes,
> evidently as a result of the hooks getting invoked extra times
> during cache reloads. I can reproduce that here.

Did you already look into where those additional namespace searches are coming
from? There are case in which it is not unproblematic to have repeated
namespace searches due to the potential for races it opens up...

Greetings,

Andres Freund