Re: Bug: pg_regress makefile does not always copy refint.so

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Donghang Lin <donghang(dot)lin(at)servicenow(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bug: pg_regress makefile does not always copy refint.so
Date: 2022-10-19 06:27:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2022-Oct-18, Donghang Lin wrote:

> > I have a somewhat-related-but-not-really complaint. I recently had need to
> > have refint.so, autoinc.so and regress.so in the install directory; but it
> > turns out that there's no provision at all to get them installed.

> The current pgsql install directory of regress only contains pg_regress binary,
> Do you suggest we add these files (excluding the scratched files) to the regress install directory?
> autoinc.so data expected Makefile parallel_schedule pg_regress pg_regress.c pg_regress.h pg_regress_main.c README refint.so regress.c regressplans.sh regress.so resultmap sql

No, I think the .c/.h files are likely included only because the RPM
rule is written somewhat carelessly. If we add support in our
makefiles, it would have to be something better-considered.

> I think this build bug is orthogonal to the inconvenient installation/packaging.
> It produces inconsistent build result, e.g you have to run `make` twice to ensure newly built refint.so is copied to the build dir.

Yes, I agree that it is orthogonal. I'm not sure that what you propose
(changing these order-only dependencies into regular dependencies) is
the best possible fix, but I agree we need *some* fix.

--
Álvaro Herrera Breisgau, Deutschland — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/