Re: Use -fvisibility=hidden for shared libraries

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Use -fvisibility=hidden for shared libraries
Date: 2022-10-16 02:08:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2022-09-01 14:19:35 -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> Here's an updated patch for this (also shared recently on another thread).

I've since then committed this.

I was reminded of this when thinking about
https://postgr.es/m/1595488.1665869988%40sss.pgh.pa.us

Thinking about this made me realize that we currently don't expose
-fvisibility=hidden via pg_config. It's added to extensions built via PGXS,
via Makefile.global, but that doesn't help extensions that don't want to use
PGXS.

I guess we should report the CFLAGS_SL_MODULE etc via pg_config?

Greetings,

Andres Freund