Re: create subscription - improved warning message

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2022-10-11 10:57:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2022-Oct-10, Peter Smith wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 10, 2022 at 4:04 PM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> > I think the below gives accurate information:
> > WARNING: subscription was created, but is not connected
> > HINT: You should create the slot manually, enable the subscription,
> > and run %s to initiate replication.

I guess this is reasonable, but how do I know what slot name do I have
to create? Maybe it'd be better to be explicit about that:

HINT: You should create slot \"%s\" manually, enable the subscription, and run %s to initiate replication.

though this still leaves a lot unexplained about that slot creation
(which options do they have to use).

If this sounds like too much for a HINT, perhaps we need a documentation
subsection that explains exactly what to do, and have this HINT
reference the documentation? I don't think we do that anywhere else,
though.

--
Álvaro Herrera 48°01'N 7°57'E — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"Industry suffers from the managerial dogma that for the sake of stability