Re: Support logical replication of DDLs

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Zheng Li <zhengli10(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ajin Cherian <itsajin(at)gmail(dot)com>, "houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Japin Li <japinli(at)hotmail(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, rajesh singarapu <rajesh(dot)rs0541(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Support logical replication of DDLs
Date: 2022-10-06 17:16:01
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On 2022-Oct-06, Zheng Li wrote:

> Some tweaking is made in deparse_drop_command in order to make DROP
> TRANSFORM deparsing work. This is because the objidentity captured in
> currentEventTriggerState->SQLDropList contains the keyword 'on', for
> example "for typename on language lang", but the keyword 'on' is not
> needed in the current DROP TRANSFORM syntax. So we need to remove the
> 'on' keyword in objidentity. I'm not sure if this is the best way to
> handle it, maybe we can consider directly modifying what's captured in
> currentEventTriggerState->SQLDropList
> so we don't have the "on" keyword to begin with?

The exact output format for identity is not set in stone; we should only
set it in stone once we have an actual working case for them. This is
the first such use, so it seems OK to make minor modifications (such as
removing an undesirable ON) if it's a reasonable change and allows
consumer code to be more easily written.

So, +1 to dropping ON here. However, if there are further strings that
need to be modified, let's see what they are.

--
Álvaro Herrera 48°01'N 7°57'E — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
<Schwern> It does it in a really, really complicated way