Re: longfin and tamandua aren't too happy but I'm not sure why

From: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: longfin and tamandua aren't too happy but I'm not sure why
Date: 2022-10-01 16:14:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 28, 2022 at 08:45:31PM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2022-09-28 21:22:26 +0200, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > I have an additional, unrelated complaint about CI, which is that we
> > don't have anything for past branches. I have a partial hack(*), but
> > I wish we had something we could readily use.
> >
> > (*) I just backpatched the commit that added the .cirrus.yml file, plus
> > some later fixes to it, and I keep that as a separate branch which I
> > merge with whatever other changes I want to test. I then push that to
> > github, and ignore the windows results when looking at cirrus-ci.com.

You wouldn't need to ignore Windows tap test failures if you also
backpatch 76e38b37a, and either disable PG_TEST_USE_UNIX_SOCKETS, or
include 45f52709d.

> I'd not be against backpatching the ci stuff if there were sufficient demand
> for it. It'd probably be a decent bit of initial work, but after that it
> shouldn't be too bad.

I just tried this, which works fine at least for v11-v14:
| git checkout origin/REL_15_STABLE .cirrus.yml src/tools/ci

https://cirrus-ci.com/task/5742859943936000 v15a
https://cirrus-ci.com/task/6725412431593472 v15b
https://cirrus-ci.com/task/5105320283340800 v13
https://cirrus-ci.com/task/4809469463887872 v12
https://cirrus-ci.com/task/6659971021537280 v11

(I still suggest my patches to run all tests using vcregress. The number of
people who remember that, for v15, cirrusci runs incomplete tests is probably
fewer than five.)
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20220623193125.GB22452%40telsasoft.com
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20220828144447.GA21897%40telsasoft.com

If cirrusci were backpatched, it'd be kind of nice to use a ccache key
that includes the branch name (but maybe the overhead of compilation is
unimportant compared to the workload induced by cfbot).

A gripe from me: the regression.diffs and other logs from the SQL regression
tests are in a directory called "main" (same for "isolation"). I imagine I
won't be the last person to spend minutes looking through the list of test dirs
for the entry called "regress", conclude that it's inexplicably absent, and
locate it only after reading src/test/regress/meson.build.

--
Justin