Re: libpq error message refactoring

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: libpq error message refactoring
Date: 2022-09-23 02:27:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

HHi,

On 2022-09-22 22:00:00 -0400, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 22.09.22 17:42, Andres Freund wrote:
> > This patch has been failing for a while:
> > https://cirrus-ci.com/github/postgresql-cfbot/postgresql/commitfest/39/3854
> >
> > Interestingly, previously the error only happened when targetting windows, but
> > meson also shows it on freebsd.
> >
> > It's not the cause of this failure, I think, but doesn't appendPQExpBufferVA
> > need to be added to exports.txt?
>
> I don't want to make that function available to users of libpq, just use it
> inside libpq across .c files. Is there no visibility level for that? Is
> that also the problem in the freebsd build?

I suspect the appendPQExpBufferVA is orthogonal - most (all?) of the other
functions in pqexpbuffer.h are visible, so it feels weird/confusing to not
make appendPQExpBufferVA() available. I just noticed it when trying to
understand the linker failure - which I still don't...

Greetings,

Andres Freund