Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson - v13

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, samay sharma <smilingsamay(at)gmail(dot)com>, Nazir Bilal Yavuz <byavuz81(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson - v13
Date: 2022-09-22 21:50:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2022-09-22 13:21:28 -0700, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> Is it generally recommended that individual hackers mostly switch over
> to Meson for their day to day work soon? I'm guessing that this
> question doesn't really have a clear answer yet, but thought I'd ask,
> just in case.

It'll probably depend on who you ask ;)

I'm likely the most biased person on this, but for me the reliable incremental
builds and the readability of the test output are big enough wins that the
answer is pretty clear... Doesn't hurt that running all tests is faster too.

The currently existing limitations are imo mostly around making it usable for
production, particularly on windows.

time to run all tests (cassert, -Og), in a fully built tree:

make:

time make -j48 -s -Otarget check-world
real 2m44.206s
user 6m29.121s
sys 1m54.069s

time make -j48 -s -Otarget check-world PROVE_FLAGS='-j4'
real 1m1.577s
user 7m32.579s
sys 2m17.767s

meson:

time meson test
real 0m42.178s
user 7m8.533s
sys 2m17.711s

FWIW, I just rebased my older patch to cache and copy initdb during the
tests. The %user saved is impressive enough to pursue it again...

time make -j48 -s -Otarget check-world PROVE_FLAGS='-j4'
real 0m52.655s
user 2m19.504s
sys 1m26.264s

time meson test: