Re: libpq error message refactoring

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: libpq error message refactoring
Date: 2022-09-22 15:42:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2022-08-25 16:34:26 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> libpq now contains a mix of error message strings that end with newlines and
> don't end with newlines, due to some newer code paths with new ways of
> passing errors around. This has now gotten me confused a few too many times
> both during development and translation. So I looked into whether we can
> unify this, similar to how we have done elsewhere (e.g., pg_upgrade). I
> came up with the attached patch. It's not complete, but it shows the idea
> and it looks like a nice simplification to me. Thoughts on this approach?

This patch has been failing for a while:
https://cirrus-ci.com/github/postgresql-cfbot/postgresql/commitfest/39/3854

Interestingly, previously the error only happened when targetting windows, but
meson also shows it on freebsd.

It's not the cause of this failure, I think, but doesn't appendPQExpBufferVA
need to be added to exports.txt?

Greetings,

Andres Freund